Egg Rolls Recipe with Three Sauces
Making egg rolls can be intimidating but it doesn’t have to be. Follow along this recipe step-by-step where we show you which ingredients to use, how to prepare the ingredients, how to roll and cook the egg rolls, and the best way to enjoy them using three distinctly flavored dipping sauces:
• Organic Spicy Peanut Sauce
• Spicy Yogurt made with Organic Original Dipping Sauce and Plain Greek Yogurt
• Spicy Mayo made with Organic Citrus Infused Sauce and Mayonnaise
This recipe uses ground chicken or ground turkey. You can also make this with ground pork or beef. To make this dish vegetarian you can substitute the meat with your favorite plant based protein. Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free eaters will want to pay particular attention when selecting their egg rolls wrappers.
- Bean thread noodles (one bunch)
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cups red or green cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt to extract liquid from carrot / cabbage mixture
- 1/2 tablespoon to mix with filling
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- Coconut oil (2 cups) you may use olive oil or vegetable oil
Making egg rolls is a culinary adventure. If you haven’t rolled egg rolls before you might mess up a few. That is entirely okay. They are still edible. If you’re cooking with other people you might see who rolls the most beautiful egg rolls. Of course they should get a prize. Maybe they get to eat the first one out of the pan. They could also pose with their masterpiece and share on social media. The Egg Rolls Video is fun. Turn up the volume and move your hips a little while you’re cooking. We do.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
This recipe as shown will easily provide an entrée for 4 people. If you’re cooking for fewer people then enjoy the leftovers. As an appetizer this will make 8 people very happy.
More About Our Sauces
This Egg Rolls recipe used three sauces, Organic Original Dipping Sauce, Organic Citrus Infused Sauce, and Organic Spicy Peanut Sauce. These sauces are shelf stable and ready to eat out of the jar. Plan ahead and have some in your pantry. Our clean label sauce are:
Recipe Instructions – Homemade Egg Rolls
- Prepare the bean-thread noodles. Soak one bunch bean-thread noodles in lukewarm water for 15 minutes until softened.
- Prepare cabbage and carrots. Pack 2 cups each shredded carrots and shredded cabbage into mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon salt and mix well. This will draw moisture out of the carrots and cabbage so your egg rolls don’t get watery while frying, which will cause splatter and dilute the flavor. Let stand at least 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place ground turkey or substitute. Next, prepare the onions.
To prepare onions, first, cut off both ends of the onion leaving the root intact. Next, Cut the onion in half through the root. This will make it easier to peel. Then, peel off the skin and discard any dry layers of the onion. Now we’re ready to dice. Make cuts vertically through the onion but not all the way through the root. Space your cuts about ⅛ inches apart. Finally, rotate your onion 90 degrees and continue your cutting down to the root. This will create perfectly diced onions of uniform size.
- Drain the liquid out of the cabbage and carrot mixture; discard the water. Drain and cut the bean-thread noodles into about 2 inch long pieces; discard the liquid.
- Add ingredient to large mixing bowl with the ground turkey or substitute. Add bean-thread noodles, diced onions, shredded carrot and cabbage mixture, 1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper, and 1 large egg. Mix all ingredients well.
Begin Rolling Egg Rolls
- It is helpful to have some warm water on hand before rolling egg rolls. To begin, add a spoonful of egg roll mix onto a single sheet of egg roll wrapper. Next, fold the bottom side in. Then fold the left side. After that fold the right side in. Finally, roll the wrapper up tightly until it looks like a short plump hot dog. Repeat this process until you use up all of the filling or all of the wrappers. Hopefully, you have a perfect match. Scroll down to see the video to witness good egg roll rolling technique. If the egg roll wrapper is dry or stiff then moisten with a little warm water.
- Heat frying pan to medium heat. Add ¾ cup oil. Once oil is hot, place the egg rolls on the hot oiled pan one at a time. Keep them tight, next to each other so they don’t open. Important: After the egg rolls are placed in the pan slowly add more oil, another ¾ cup. For best results the egg rolls must be submerged 1/2 of the way. Do not overfill with oil. This will cause the egg rolls to open up. Let cook for about 7 to 10 minutes until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side until golden brown. Remove cooked egg rolls from the pan. Drain on paper towels and let cool before eating.
Prepare the Three Sauces
- Place 1/2 cup Organic Spicy Peanut Sauce in a small bowl or ramekin. This sauce is complete. Use the Peanut Sauce straight out of the jar without combining it with anything else.
- Combine 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon Organic Original Dipping Sauce in small bowl or ramekin. Taste. If you want more heat, add more Original Sauce. You can also of course have the Original Dipping Sauce straight.
- Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon Organic Citrus Infused Sauce in small bowl or ramekin. Adjust the sauce to mayo ratio according to your desired level of heat. Once again you can obviously eat the Citrus Sauce without mixing it with mayo.
Pro Tip: If you live in a mixed-heat household where some like it hot and others not so much then provide each person with their own personal ramekin or a small bowl. Adjust the desired heat and flavor profile to suit each person. They can adjust the heat level of the sauce to be perfect according to their tastes. Some like it really hot and might prefer the two-pepper version of the sauces. Others like it mild and will want to have more yogurt or mayo and less sauce.
Egg Rolls Recipe Serving Suggestions
Appetizer or Entree
Serve homemade egg rolls as a main course or as an appetizer. As a main course add Pan Fried Spaghetti Noodles on the side. Egg rolls also go really well with Crispy Pan Fried Shrimp and conveniently they use the same three sauces. One idea is to cut your egg rolls into bite-size pieces that can be dipped into all three sauces. We also enjoy egg rolls with fresh mint. You might even be growing some mint in your garden. Of course egg rolls will go well with salad or rice to complete a meal, too. Leftover egg rolls are easily reheated so don’t worry if you make too many. There really is no wrong way to eat egg rolls. Enjoy!
Egg Rolls with Three Sauces Video on YouTube
Let’s Not Keep Secrets
If you like this Egg Rolls Recipe and enjoy good food consider subscribing to our recipe blog and connecting with us on our social channels. That is also a great way to share these recipes and delicious sauces with others. Find our social channels on the Connect with Simpatico Foods page. Please also subscribe to the Simpatico Foods YouTube channel and click notification to receive new videos as they are published.