Fish Sandwich Recipe
Our Fish Sandwich Recipe is a tasty and feel great alternative to eating fish sandwiches while out and about. We use wild caught cod but you can use other white fish, too. Make some homemade french fries with spicy mayo to go with your fish sandwich and you’ll have a memorable delicious meal you’ll want to repeat. Like Taco Tuesday, Fish Friday can become a regular affair. We slather spicy mayo on the pan-fried bun. For that we use mayonnaise and Organic Original Dipping Sauce or Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. Both are these sauces are wonderful on the fish sandwich and also for the french fries. If you are a bit of a chili head and like it hot then use the two-pepper HOT version of the Original Sauce.
Recipe Ingredients for Fish Sandwich:
- 1 pound wild caught cod or other white fish
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 leaves fresh basil per sandwich or 1 per slider
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- Shredded lettuce to cover buns
- Sliced pickle to coat buns or to suit taste (We like more pickle)
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1-2 tablespoons Organic Original Dipping Sauce or Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Medium or Hot depending upon your heat preference. [this is essentially a pepper onion garlic flavored sauce that adds flavorful heat to whatever it is mixed with]
These fish sandwiches will take 25 minutes to make from start to finish and slightly longer if you make homemade french fries to accompany them. First, soak your fish in the vinegar-water mix while you’re preparing the seasoned flour and other ingredients. If you don’t have any vinegar then use lemon juice or juice from a fresh squeezed orange.
A Note on Seasoned Flour
Using seasoned flour will create light and flavorful fried fish. You don’t need Panko bread crumbs or corn meal or other fish batter for this recipe. As a reminder you may have seasoned flour already in your freezer from other recipes we’ve shared including Pan Fried Shrimp, Seasoned Pork Chops, Pan Fried Green Tomatoes, etc.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
This recipe as shown will provide a nice sized sandwich for 4 people. As sliders these fish sandwiches can go even further.
Recipe Instructions – How to Make Fish Sandwich
- Prepare Fish
Cut fish into sandwich sized portions.
Pro Tip: Soak fish fillet in mix of 1/4 cup vinegar and 2 cups water to cover. Let soak for 5 to 10 minutes. You will eliminate the smell in your kitchen and reduce any fishy taste and odor in the dish without depleting any real flavor. Optionally rinse with cold water. Pat fish dry with a paper towel.
- Prepare Seasoned Flour
In a bowl make the seasoned flour by combining: flour, salt, and pepper. Mix ingredients well. If you have leftover seasoned flour after coating the fish then you can save it in the freezer for future use on this or other recipes noted in the preparation notes.
- Dust the fish fillet with the seasoned flour mixture, making sure to fully coat all sides.
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the fish fillet, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side depending upon the thickness of your fish fillet.
- After the fish fillets are cooked, remove them from the heat. Then let them rest for a minute on paper towels to absorb out any residual oil.
- Pan fry the buns by first spreading coconut oil on each half of the buns. Then place buns face down and fry until desired level of brown and crispiness, about 1-2 minutes.
- Prepare The Sauce
Combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon Organic Citrus Infused Sauce in small bowl or ramekin. Adjust the sauce to mayo ratio according to your desired level of heat. You can also add the Citrus Sauce directly to your sandwich without mixing it with the mayo.
- Spread Spicy Mayo on the Buns
Over your pan-fried crispy buns spread a layer of mayonnaise or Spicy Mayo or Citrus Infused Sauce or Original Dipping Sauce.
- Essential Fish Sandwich Toppings
Essential Fish Sandwich toppings include ripened tomato, fresh basil, and onion. We like the onions sliced thinly whether served fresh or sautéed. If you use lettuce consider shredded lettuce or at least removing the “toppler” that is present in romaine lettuce. That is the large hard white portion that will topple your sandwich, hence the name. Simply remove the toppler and eat. It is still food, after all.
Serving Suggestions for Fish Sandwich
Fish Sandwiches as sliders make for fun and delicious snacks. Sides to serve with your fish sandwich include french fries, fresh fruit, salad, french fries, patatas bravas, Pan Fried Purple Potatoes or chips. Two chip ideas are Refreshing Spin on Boring Chips. If you liked this recipe and enjoy good food subscribe to blog.
Buy Organic Citrus Infused Sauce
This recipe uses Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. This sauce is available in medium, one-pepper version or a hot, two-pepper version for those who like a little more heat.
Our clean label Organic Citrus Infused Sauce is:
- USDA Organic Certified by WSDA
- Free of additives and preservatives
- Shelf stable, refrigerate after opening
- Loved by Customers. Read the reviews.
You Deserve Good Food.
If you liked this recipe and enjoy good food consider subscribing to our recipe blog and connecting with us on our social channels. That is also a great way to share these recipes and delicious sauces with others. Find our social channels on the Connect with Simpatico Foods page. Please also subscribe to the Simpatico Foods YouTube channel and click notification to receive new videos as they are published.