This Grilled Chicken Burgers recipe uses whole boneless chicken breasts or boneless skinless thighs as opposed to using seasoned ground chicken. Pairing the chicken with Citrus Infused Sauce will rival the juiciest of hamburgers. Make the tastiest Grilled Chicken Burgers in about 20 minutes and enjoy them for lunch or dinner. We love these chicken burgers made with brioche buns, crunchy pickles, heirloom tomatoes, lettuce picked fresh from the garden, extra sharp cheddar cheese, and copious amounts of Citrus Infused Sauce mixed with mayonnaise. See also Spicy Mayo to make a combination of mayo and either Citrus Sauce or Original sauce for burgers, sandwiches, eggs, sushi, seafood, etc.
This simple and delicious recipe is a welcome departure from ordinary hamburgers. If you’re cooking for many people consider that they may have different heat preferences. Some like it hot and others medium or mild. Learn how to Make it Mild.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Pickle, sliced (the crunchier the better, enough to cover your bun to your liking)
- 1 Large tomato, sliced (We love the heirloom varieties)
- Cheese, sliced (Pick your favorite cheese. I prefer provolone, havarti, or extra sharp cheddar cheese)
- 2 Boneless and skinless chicken breasts (buy them whole and cut your own to save money) or thighs (for a special treat marinade your chicken in Ginger Pesto and/or Citrus Infused Sauce)
- Hamburger buns (We love using the brioche buns)
- One avocado (sliced)
- One jar Organic Citrus Infused Sauce or Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Hot or Medium
Instructions for Making Grilled Chicken Burgers:
Prepare the Chicken
- If using whole chicken breasts first cut them in half (Leaving the fat will help prevent the chicken from drying out while grilling)
- Next, filet each chicken breast to thin them (Why pay more for cutlets that are already cut when you can handle the job, right?)
- Optional: cut your chicken to the desired size to match the buns (You can also trim after cutting if desired)
- Next, season the chicken with salt and pepper
- Next, before adding the chicken to the grill, make sure to lightly oil and coat the surface of the chicken with olive oil
- Optional: Marinade your chicken in 1 heaping Tablespoon of Ginger Pesto and 2 Tablespoons of Citrus Infused Sauce)
Grilling the Chicken
- First, heat your grill. We prefer using a cast iron griddle on top of the grill. This way the food cooks evenly and we never lose food through the BBQ grate. That’s especially important for delicate food.
- Next, cook the first side of your chicken for about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the thickness and type of chicken. (If it is cut thinly it will take less time.)
- Then, turn the chicken and cook another 5 to 8 minutes, again depending upon the thickness and type of chicken.
- Finally, remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for about 2 minutes
Assembling Your Chicken Burger Masterpiece
- Meanwhile, in a medium size bowl, make burger sauce by mixing mayonnaise with Organic Citrus Infused Sauce or Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Hot or Medium.
- Next, spread the mixture of sauce on the buns (Optional: pan fry or grill your buns first)
- Finally, add the grilled chicken, and then layer with cheese, tomato, avocado, and pickle. Enjoy!