This grilled eggplant sandwich recipe is great for Meatless Monday or any day of the week. Enjoy a juicy hamburger? Even if you enjoy a juicy meaty hamburger you’ll love this veggie-centric, healthy, plant-based, meatless alternative. You’ll love this delicious, plant-based, veggie substitute for the hamburger. You won’t miss the meat. We promise you. If you don’t already know eggplant is a strange fruit (actually a berry by botanical classification) that absorbs anything its cooked in. That is why it is favored in cuisines around the world.
Eggplant Burger or Sandwich?
Is it a burger or a sandwich? It is either one. This recipe can be easily made as a burger or sandwich or even as sliders. This recipe is organic, vegan and can be made gluten-free depending upon your choice of bread. Or, you can make this recipe bread-less.
This grilled eggplant sandwich uses delicious fixings including fresh basil, tomato, avocado and Organic Citrus Infused Sauce.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Large eggplant (cut into 3/8 to 1/2 inch slices)
- 1 Avocado (sliced)
- 1 Tomato (sliced)
- Fresh sweet basil (wash & let dry)
- Lettuce (any type will do, whichever you prefer. We were fortunate to have butter letter straight from the garden)
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- Mayonnaise or egg-free mayo or your vegan equivalent choice
- Hamburger buns, ciabatta, panini, brioche, French rolls, or whatever bread you choose (better if it is grilled or pan-fried in a little coconut or olive oil)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- One jar Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Hot or Medium or Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Hot or Medium. We prefer the citrusy flavor of the Organic Citrus Infused Sauce on this grilled eggplant. Our citrus sauce pairs extremely well with the eggplant and also the avocado.
- Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch slices
- In a large bowl mix salt and pepper with olive oil
- Add eggplant and gently toss
- Grill eggplant until tender and lightly charred, flipping once. We like using a griddle on top of the grill. This way the food cooks evenly and we never lose food through the BBQ grate. That’s especially important for delicate food.
- Remove eggplant from the grill
- Spread olive oil or coconut oil on buns and grill to desired level
- Remove buns and place on serving plate
- In a medium bowl mix mayo with Organic Citrus Infused Sauce or Organic Original Dipping Sauce and spread on grilled buns
- Top each bun with a slice of grilled eggplant, tomato, avocado, basil, and lettuce
- Assemble and enjoy