The best hot dog toppings go far beyond ordinary ketchup and mustard. Gourmet, well dressed hot dogs make a world of difference to your own taste buds and to your guest’s. Whether you go with traditional meat or a plant-based vegetarian hot dogs or sausage, each deserves great toppings drizzled with Organic Citrus Infused Sauce (shown above) or Original Dipping Sauce – Medium or Hot. Chances are pretty high that you’ve eaten or thought about eating a hot dog or sausage in the past month. Chances are pretty good too, that you used the same boring toppings. If that is the case, it’s time to level up.
Host your own happy hour or hot dog bar with grilled hot dogs and your favorite trimmings. Include Citrus Infused Sauce or Original Dipping Sauce to slather on the bun and to drizzle over the top.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 1 pack hot dogs or sausages
- Hot dog buns
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 4 leaves of sweet basil (wash chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
- One jar Organic Citrus Infused Sauce or Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Hot or Medium
Best Hot Dog Toppings variations
Other favorite toppings of ours include: caramelized or grilled onions, crispy sliced pickles, orange slices (yes, it’s true), and other grilled vegetables such as red peppers.
- Grill hot dogs outdoors or pan fry over medium-high heat until cooked and heated through, 6 to 8 minutes
- Heat frying pan to medium heat
- Spread coconut oil on buns, and place on hot pan face down, turn the heat low, and cover with lid for 1 to 2 minutes
- In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise with Organic Citrus Infused Sauce or Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Hot or Medium.
- Spread the mixture of sauce on the buns
- On each bun place grilled hot dog with sauerkraut, tomato, basil, and chopped onion
- Drizzle remainder of the sauce over hot dogs
Best Hot Dog Toppings Budget and Taste Tip:
If you like more toppings than hot dogs on your bun, then slice each hot dog in half, lengthwise. Voila, you’ve instantly doubled the amount of hot dogs. This is especially needed for larger hot dogs that dominate the bun and crowd out those delicious hot dog toppings.