Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms with Citrus Sauce look like white fish, doesn’t it? Well, these are actually King Oyster Mushrooms. They feel significant and will leave you satisfied. King Oyster Mushrooms really are kings – they are large. When cooked, these mushrooms develop a rich umami flavor and have a meaty texture, similar to scallops. We sliced the mushrooms lengthwise and then deeply scored them to get the marinade to penetrate deeply into the mushrooms. Other than Citrus Infused Sauce and Olive Oil we only used a sprinkle of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Five ingredients are all it takes to make this wonderful vegan dinner. These flavorful mushrooms became even more so after a couple of hours of taking a bath in the marinade. You probably don’t have to wait quite that long before grilling but we must have been distracted.
Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms with Citrus Sauce Serving Suggestions
We served these Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms with Citrus Sauce over steamed rice and then drizzled a bit more citrus sauce on the plate. Use Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Medium or Hot depending upon your heat preference. If you want a slightly more pepper-onion-garlic intense flavor then use the Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Medium or Hot.
INGREDIENTS: Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms with Citrus Sauce
- 3 King Oyster Mushrooms
- Sprinkle of Kosher salt
- Pinch or two of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Medium or Hot
Prep Time: 15 minutes (add another hour for marinade time)
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 95 minutes
Recipe Yield: Serve 2-3
If you are rushed for time you can compress the marinade time down to 30 minutes.
Pro Tip: We like to use a reversible rectangular grill and griddle pan. Ours is made by Lodge – it is wonderful and heirloom quality. Treat yourself if you don’t have one. We don’t earn commissions or run ads – we just love their product so we’re telling you. You’ll see this griddle pan used in Grilled Steelhead with Garlic Onion Glaze and Crispy Herbed Roast Potatoes recipes. We use our Lodge grill and griddle pan outside over our barbecue grill, inside the oven, and over two burners on the stovetop. You’ll use less foil, have more even heat, and have fewer flareups outside on your grill. And for this recipe, you won’t have to worry about losing mushrooms to the bottom of the grill.
Organic Citrus Infused Sauce
This Grilled King Oysters Recipe uses Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. Our sauces are shelf-stable and ready to eat out of the jar. Plan ahead and have some in your pantry. Our clean label sauces are:
- USDA Organic Certified by WSDA
- Free of additives and preservatives
- Shelf-stable, refrigerate after opening
- Loved by Customers
Preparing the King Oyster Mushrooms
- First, slice the King Oyster Mushrooms in half along their length.
- Next, cut 1/8 inch deep grooves in a criss-cross pattern to score each mushroom.
- Now you’ll have deep grooves in the mushrooms that will easily accept more marinade for increased flavor and depth.
- The King Oyster Mushrooms are now sliced lengthwise and scored and ready to receive marinade.
- Citrus Infused Sauce for King Oyster Mushroom Marinade and Grilling.
- Now, place the mushrooms in a large bowl and add 2 tablespoons of Citrus Infused Sauce to fill the grooves on each King Oyster Mushroom.
- Add olive oil to each mushroom as well.
- Rub the citrus sauce and olive oil deeply into the grooves in each mushroom. You’ll get a little messy. That’s okay.
- Sprinkle the marinated King Oyster Mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Lay mushrooms flat and occasionally recoat with Citrus Sauce and Olive Oil from the bottom of the bowl.
- These mushrooms really do look like white fish especially at the “tail” end. Remember to turn on your rice cooker while you’re counting away the minutes for your marinade to do its magic.
- When you have 10 minutes left on your marinade time, heat your barbeque grill. See the note about using a cast-iron griddle over the top of the grill surface.
Grilling Your Citrus Marinaded King Oyster Mushrooms
- Lay King Oyster Mushrooms flat on a heated griddle without overlapping.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes on side one, depending upon the thickness of the mushrooms and heat level of the grill. Check for desired grill marks. Turn 90 degrees midway through cooking side one to get a distinguished pattern on your mushrooms.
- Flip mushrooms and continue cooking on side two for another 7-10 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to get any remnants of marinade out of the bowl and place them over the top of the mushrooms.
Serving Your Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms
Your Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms are done when you have the desired grill marks on each side to your liking.
Serve your Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms over steamed rice and drizzle a little extra Citrus Infused Sauce on the plate for show and for additional dipping. Yummy! Enjoy!
Let’s Not Keep Secrets
If you liked this Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms with Citrus Sauce Recipe and enjoy good food consider subscribing to our recipe blog on our Connect page.