Grilled Marinated Mushrooms
Grilled Marinated Mushrooms are a wonderful vegetable side dish, a tasty appetizer, or a vegan meal when added over rice or pasta. The uses for grilled marinated mushrooms doesn’t stop there. Top steak, fish, chicken, tofu, hamburgers, omelettes and more with these tasty morsels. Cremini mushrooms are our mushroom of choice for this recipe and most recipes where we use mushrooms. Cremini mushrooms are widely available even in organic, firm and not too delicate, and have a nice earthy flavor that is further enhanced with marinade and the high temperature of the grill.
This Grilled Marinated Mushrooms recipe relies on our Organic Original Dipping Sauce. This gives the mushrooms an intense pepper-onion-garlic flavor. For a slightly more citrusy flavor use Organic Citrus Infused Sauce.
For Marinated Mushrooms
- 10-12 Whole cremini mushrooms, also known as mini portobello
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil for the marinade and another teaspoon for the griddle
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Original Dipping Sauce or Organic Citrus Infused Sauce in medium or hot depending upon your heat preference. For a slightly more citrusy flavor try the Organic Citrus Infused Sauce.
- Fresh ground black pepper to coat
This appetizer will take 25 minutes to make from start to finish and slightly longer if you make it a meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
This recipe as shown will be a hearty appetizer for 4 people or a meal for 2 people. It can easily be incorporated into a tapas style menu of small shared plates.
Recipe Instructions – How to Make Grilled Marinated Mushrooms
- Clean Mushrooms
Either rinse mushrooms gently in water and pat dry or if you have mushrooms that are extra dirty then place your mushrooms in a container, cover with water, sprinkle salt to cover the top, close the lid and gently swirl and shake. Voila! When you open the container your mushrooms will have been gently agitated like a washing machine on gentle cycle. Dump the water and pat dry your mushrooms.
- Slice Mushrooms
We prefer slicing the mushrooms over quartering them for this recipe. This will maximum the amount of mushroom touching the grill. It will also give you opportunity to create beautiful grill marks. Remember we eat with our eyes first. Slice mushrooms about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. This will give you about 4-6 slices per mushroom depending upon its size.
- Marinate Mushrooms
Mushrooms readily absorb whatever liquid they are exposed to. This is true of mushrooms in the wild and it is true of harvested mushrooms once in your kitchen. So, you don’t need to marinade the mushrooms very long, even 5 minutes will do.
- In a mixing bowl large enough for your mushrooms add the sliced mushrooms.
- Top with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Mix in 2 Tablespoons of Organic Original Dipping Sauce. Use medium or hot depending on our heat preference.
- Cover with a sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper.
- Stir well and let marinade for 5 minutes. This the perfect time to turn on your grill and heat that cast iron griddle.
Pro Tip: We like to use a reversible rectangular grill and griddle pan. Ours is made by Lodge – it is wonderful and heirloom quality. Treat yourself if you don’t have one. We don’t earn commissions or run ads – we just love their product so we’re telling you. You’ll see this griddle pan used in Grilled Steelhead with Garlic Onion Glaze and Crispy Herbed Roast Potatoes recipes. We use our Lodge grill and griddle pan outside over our barbecue grill, inside the oven and over two burners on the stovetop. You’ll use less foil, have more even heat, and less flareups outside on your grill. And for this recipe you won’t have to worry about losing mushrooms to the bottom of the grill.
- Grilling your Marinated Mushrooms
Place the marinated mushrooms in a single layer over a hot lightly oiled griddle.
- Let cook about seven minutes until well-defined grill marks develop.
- Turn with tongs and cook side two for another 7 or so minutes. If you wish you can rotate part of the way through to give your mushrooms that signature diamond grill mark pattern.
Serving Suggestions for Grilled Marinated Mushrooms
Grilled marinated mushrooms are great on their own as an appetizer. Make a complete meal by adding them to rice or pasta. You can serve grilled marinated mushrooms warm or cold over a salad. Or, top a baked potato, steak, chicken, fish, or tofu. Add mushrooms to an omelette or hamburger. Grilled marinated mushrooms go with nearly everything.
Buy Organic Original Dipping Sauce
This recipe uses Organic Original Dipping Sauce. This sauce is available in medium, one-pepper version or a hot, two-pepper version for those who like a little more heat.
Our clean label Organic Original Dipping Sauce is:
- USDA Organic Certified by WSDA
- Free of additives and preservatives
- Shelf stable, refrigerate after opening
- Loved by Customers. Read the reviews.
You Deserve Good Food.
If you liked this recipe and enjoy good food consider subscribing to our recipe blog and connecting with us on our social channels. That is also a great way to share these recipes and delicious sauces with others. Find our social channels on the Connect with Simpatico Foods page. Please also subscribe to the Simpatico Foods YouTube channel and click notification to receive new videos as they are published.