It’s always BBQ season with quick and delicious Grilled Satay Shrimp Skewers with Peanut Sauce. This tasty dish goes far beyond meat on a stick or kebabs (kabobs). Marinaded in Organic Citrus Infused Sauce and dipped in Organic Spicy Peanut Sauce after grilling, this shrimp dish is sure to delight you and any of your guests.
After grilling, dip the skewered shrimp in peanut sauce and eat straight from the skewer. Or, eat the shrimp and peanut sauce over steamed rice, salad or wherever you would enjoy shrimp. It’s the perfect finger food, appetizer or as a main feature in surf and turf. These shrimp are so good you’ll want to make plenty for yourself and others. Guaranteed you cannot eat only one.
Our clean-label Organic Spicy Peanut Sauce is consistently delicious and because it is shelf-stable you can plan ahead for your next gathering. We use fresh organic lemons in our sauces, not vinegar so it tastes wonderful without the overwhelm taste that vinegar-based products can impart. If you want an extra-hot flavorful heat then add the two-pepper hot version of our Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Hot into your peanut sauce. For mixed-heat households you can prepare skewers to satisfy people who prefer mild, medium, or hot.
Perfect Party Appetizer
Along with our Grilled Chicken Satay Skewers, these Shrimp Satay Skewers are perfect for people who entertain or host happy hours with friends. This recipe doesn’t require high culinary skills yet you’ll impress yourself and others with the grilled shrimp that is already flavorful, but made “wow” when dipped in our peanut sauce. Have some peanut sauce on hand and you can entertain guests with a delicious familiar treat at a planned or impromptu gathering.
Once opened, our peanut sauce will last in the fridge for another six weeks. So, if you have any leftover sauce you can easily put it to use. See our How to Use recipe gallery for more inspiration.
We recommend reading though the entire recipe and viewing all step-by-step picture instructions before getting started. Then, you’ll be better equipped to take advantage of some of the tips and tricks throughout. That will smooth your cooking process and create a better finished product and experience for you.
Prep Time: about 25 minutes, for prep time and cooking
Ingredients Needed to make Grilled Satay Shrimp Skewers:
Each dozen of jumbo shrimp makes two skewers. As an appetizer this will easily satisfy four or more people. As a meal it will serve two people. The recipe is easily doubled, tripled, etc., as needed.
- 1 dozen jumbo shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Ginger Pesto (garlic, ginger, olive oil – see How to Make Ginger Pesto video
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Medium or Hot
- Serve with Organic Spicy Peanut Sauce – Medium (this recipe will use about a half jar)
How to Make Grilled Shrimp Satay Skewers – Step-by-Step:
- You’ll need a dozen or so jumbo shrimp for two servings. We recommend buying the shrimp already cleaned and deveined. If you don’t that’s okay, you just have a little extra work required to clean and devein the shrimp.
- Peel the shells. Tip: After you remove the shells, to get rid of the fishy smell and taste, soak the shrimp in 2 cups of water mixed with 1/4 cup white vinegar. Soak for about a minute and then drain. Optional: rinse shrimp with water after the vinegar bath.
- In a medium bowl add the cleaned shrimp and to that add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- Next, add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons of Ginger Pesto. See How to Make Ginger Pesto on the Simpatico Foods YouTube channel. If you like it, please subscribe and sign up for notifications.
- This step gives the grilled shrimp satay skewers a bright flavorful citrusy heat. It will be an undertone that pairs deliciously with the peanut sauce later. Add 2 tablespoons of Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. If you want even more heat then use the two-pepper Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Hot.
- Using a spoon or rubber spatula mix shrimp and ingredients well and let sit for about a minute. If you are preparing this dish for later then cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Begin skewering the shrimp. It is helpful to soak the bamboo skewers in water ahead of time for about 15 minutes so they don’t burn on the grill. If you use metal skewers then you can recall the days of when you used to have to soak your wood skewers.
- Skewered shrimp will be tightly clustered on the skewer. For more even cooking and handling we recommend alternating the heads and tails on each skewer as shown. Look at those beautiful colors.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Place shrimp on heated grill. We like to use a cast iron griddle atop our BBQ grill to prevent flare ups, burning, and uneven cooking. You can also cook indoors on a skillet pan over the cooktop. Using a cast iron griddle is also a way to prevent any food from falling through the BBQ grate. Sorry BBQ gods you’ll have to find your sacrificial meals elsewhere; not on our BBQ.
- Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes on side one and then flip and cook on side two until shrimp are pink and done, about another 3 minutes. Cautionary tip: if you cook the shrimp too long they’ll be dry and rubbery – please don’t overcook the shrimp.
- Place the Grilled Shrimp Satay Skewers on a platter and pair with Organic Spicy Peanut Sauce.
- For an appetizer, dip the shrimp skewers in peanut sauce or remove the shrimp and dip each shrimp in peanut sauce by hand.
- Enjoy and share with friends. This is a great party appetizer. Making shrimp satay skewers is as entertaining to make as it is delicious to eat.
- This recipe can easily make a meal when Grilled Shrimp Satay Skewers are served over steamed rice and with vegetables.
Grilled Chicken Satay Skewer with Peanut Sauce on YouTube
To see how to make Grilled Shrimp Satay Skewers in a video format watch the Grilled Shrimp Satay Skewers on the Simpatico Foods YouTube channel. If you like it, consider subscribing to the channel and clicking the notifications bell so that you receive notifications when we publish a new video recipe.