Pan Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
Pan fried green tomatoes are the perfect response to tomatoes that refuse to ripen as quickly as we would like. This delicious and easy to follow recipe requires only 5 ingredients but if you add the 6th, our Organic Citrus Infused Sauce, you’re in for a real treat. For maximum flavor, ditch the deep fryer and pan fry your green tomatoes in coconut oil . To see a video version of How to Make Pan Fried Green Tomatoes, scroll down to the bottom of the recipe.
This appetizer will take 20 minutes to make from start to finish and slightly longer if you make it a meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
This recipe as shown will be a hearty appetizer for 2 people. It can easily be incorporated into a tapas style menu of small shared plates.
For the Pan Fried Green Tomatoes
- For this recipe as shown you’ll need 2 large unripe green tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Citrus Infused Sauce in medium or hot depending upon your heat preference
- 2 Tablespoon coconut oil
Recipe Instructions – How to Make Pan Fried Green Tomatoes
- Using a sharp knife slice unripe green tomatoes 1/4- to 3/8-inch thick. You can vary the thickness to add some interest to your dish. Please don’t attempt this recipe using ripe tomatoes. They will get mushy when you fry them and you’ll be sorry.
- In a bowl slather the sliced green tomatoes with Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. Use medium or hot depending upon your heat preference. If you don’t have any sauce at this moment consider this step optional and proceed. Your fried green tomatoes will still taste great but they will be better next time with the Citrus Sauce.
- Coat your green tomatoes with seasoned flour. To make seasoned flour mix 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon each of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Pro tip to reduce kitchen waste and save time: whatever flour you do not use stow in the freezer for next time. This is good for any recipe that requires seasoned flour, e.g. Pork Chops, Chicken Strips, Fried Shrimp, etc.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons coconut oil in a fry pan over medium high heat. We prefer cast iron for the even heating but use what you have.
- Fry your flour-coated green tomatoes until golden brown on the first side. The timing may vary depending upon your stove and pan.
- With a spatula carefully turn your green tomatoes to cook side two until it turns golden brown, adding oil as necessary
- Let your pan fried green tomatoes cool on a paper towel or wire rack. They will be very hot inside so be careful eating them. We usually make sure and cut eat tomato slice rather than trying to bite into it.
Fried Green Tomatoes Serving Suggestions
Fried Green Tomatoes as Appetizer
Fried Green Tomatoes are a perfect side dish or appetizer. Consider serving this on Meatless Monday along with other vegetarian dishes. It’s also great with sliders, steak bites, Grilled Chicken with Peanut Sauce, Shrimp Satay Skewers, or any assortment of small dishes served tapas style for a wonderful shared meal.
Serve fried green tomatoes as an appetizer dipped in spicy mayo, citrus sauce, or spicy yogurt.
Buy Organic Citrus Infused Sauce
This recipe uses Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. This sauce is available in medium, one-pepper version or a hot, two-pepper version for those who like a little more heat. You can also Make it Mild.
Our clean label Organic Citrus Infused Sauce is:
- USDA Organic Certified by WSDA
- Free of additives and preservatives
- Shelf stable, refrigerate after opening
- Loved by Customers. Read the reviews.
You Deserve Good Food.
Fried Green Tomatoes as a Meal
Or, top the fried green tomatoes with tomato sauce and accompany with toast points and a side of shredded cabbage, carrots, and sauerkraut. This makes a delicious and healthy vegan meal that even meat lovers will relish. If you must have meat the tomato sauce is the place to naturally add it. Idea: Use leftover spaghetti sauce.
Another delicious idea is to make a sandwich with fried green tomatoes. This can include spaghetti sauce or not.
If you liked this recipe and enjoy good food consider subscribing to our recipe blog and connecting with us on our social channels. That is also a great way to share these recipes and delicious sauces with others. Find our social channels on the Connect with Simpatico Foods page. Please also subscribe to the Simpatico Foods YouTube channel and click notification to receive new videos as they are published.