This Perfect Poached Eggs Over Steamed Rice recipe is even better with Organic Original Dipping Sauce and paired with fresh dill and ripe tomatoes. Read on to learn how (or remember how) to make perfect poached eggs every single time. Sometimes poached eggs are clearly for breakfast. But, there are no rules that make that so. Poached eggs are wonderful as an appetizer, served at lunch (even over salads) or have this poached eggs and rice dish as breakfast for dinner. When you want a slightly more citrusy flavor then we recommend using the Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. Either, way this dish is delish.
A Note on Perfect Poached Eggs
There is some controversy over who “invented” poached eggs. One early account of writing about “perfect” poached eggs was in, “The Book of Household Management” by Mrs. Isabella Beeton. Though she published her works over 24 monthly parts from 1859 to 1861, the first published bound edition was in 1861. In that book she made reference to devices to aid in poaching eggs. So, suffice it to say, poached eggs predated even her writing. Read her book courtesy of the Gutenberg project, here. One things she says in her book that especially resonates with us is, “A poached egg should not be overdone, as its appearance and taste will be quite spoiled if the yolk be allowed to harden.”
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups steamed rice
- 1 ripe tomato (sliced)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- One jar Organic Citrus Infused Sauce or Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Hot or Medium
- First, cook your choice of rice per package instructions; for a tasty treat add 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Making the Perfect Poached Eggs
- Next, in a deep 2-quart sauce pan, add enough water to come 1 inch up the side
- Then, add 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat
- Meanwhile, crack 1 very fresh cold large egg into a custard cup or small ramekin
- Next, use the handle of a spatula or spoon to quickly stir the water in one direction until it’s all smoothly spinning around, creating a tiny whirlpool
- Afterwards, add the egg: Carefully drop the egg into the center of the whirlpool. The swirling water will prevent the egg whites from “feathering,” or spreading out in the pan.
- Let it poach. After it forms, reestablish the swirl and add another egg. We do 2 eggs at a time and then repeat the process. If you are are careful and have the right sized pan you might be able to do more than two. If you do, please let us know how that works for you.
- After the eggs are fully formed and to your desired doneness (runny yoke versus hard yoke) lift out the egg(s) with a slotted spoon
- Finally, serve the eggs immediately while they are still soft and warm
Perfect Poached Eggs Over Rice Serving Suggestions
When you want a more interesting breakfast or any meal involving eggs, consider serving poached eggs over steamed rice. Adding a garnish of fresh dill and ripe tomato will add more dimensions of flavor. Finally, top your poached eggs and rice with Organic Citrus Infused Sauce or Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Hot or Medium depending on your preferred heat level. If you have a mixed heat household then you might want to read Make it Mild.