Can you really Unboring Grilled Tofu? Of course you can and its health benefits can make that extra effort worth it. Tofu can seem boring and unfamiliar to all but the most ardent vegetarians. But, these days many people are looking for ways to eat less meat and have healthier diets with low or no cholesterol; tofu is one answer. This recipe makes grilled tofu but it is equally delicious pan fried in coconut oil. However you prepare your tofu it becomes extra delicious and Unboring Grilled Tofu when topped with Citrus Infused Sauce, Spicy Peanut Sauce or Original Dipping Sauce. Use all three sauces as shown in the picture. The flavors are unique but complement each other very well.
INGREDIENTS: for Unboring Grilled Tofu
- Optional: Garlic Powder
- Extra-firm tofu (We buy Organic Tofu)
- Organic Spicy Peanut Sauce, Organic Original Dipping Sauce, Organic Citrus-Infused Sauce – Hot or Medium
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
TotalTime: 15 minutes
Recipe Yield: Makes a hearty appetizer or a meal for 4 people
Why You Want to Make Tofu Taste Great
The health benefits of this complete protein are worth the added effort to make it taste great. And, it isn’t really hard to open a jar and add some delicious organic, vegan and gluten-free sauce, right? Tofu is gluten-free and low in calories. Because tofu is a plant-based protein it is naturally cholesterol-free. Tofu contains all nine essential amino acids and is a source of iron, calcium and the minerals, manganese and phosphorus.
Traditional tofu is made from soybeans, which some people cannot eat because of allergic reactions to soy. Clean label eaters rejoice; there is USDA organic certified tofu. As an alternative to soy based tofu there are also “tofu” products made with chick peas and even hemp tofu made from hemp seeds.
Whichever of these tofu products you choose you’re palate will thank you when you use delicious sauce to make them more interesting. We call this Unboring Grilled Tofu.
MORE ABOUT OUR SAUCES
This Unboring Grilled Tofu recipe used three sauces, Organic Original Dipping Sauce, Organic Citrus Infused Sauce, and Organic Spicy Peanut Sauce. These sauces are shelf stable and ready to eat out of the jar. Plan ahead and have some in your pantry. Our clean label sauce are:
Picture Walkthrough – Make Unboring Grilled Tofu Taste – Great Step by Step
- Slice tofu into planks of desired thickness (3/4″ works well on BBQ grate or griddle)
- Season the tofu with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Brush oil on the tofu if placed on the BBQ grill (we like to use a cast iron griddle atop the BBQ grill. In that case brush the oil on the griddle)
- Place tofu on hot cast iron griddle (or grill)
- Cook 5-7 minutes or to your desired level of grill mark. Optional: rotate tofu on griddle part way through to create perpendicular grill marks)(I didn’t do that here)
- Turn and cook another 5 minutes
- Spoon Peanut Sauce on top of tofu
- Spoon Original Dipping Sauce on top of tofu
- Spoon Citrus Infused Sauce on top of tofu
- Continue to cook (sauce are already cooked but they will warm on top of the tofu)
Grilled Tofu is great on its own with Organic Spicy Peanut Sauce, Organic Original Dipping Sauce, and Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. Slice each plank into desired size chunks and share. Or, serve tofu over salad, put in soup, or serve alongside steamed vegetables, or with steamed rice.
Grilled Tofu with three sauces
Unboring Grilled Tofu are wonderful paired with Grilled Marinated Mushrooms, Steamed Rice with Peanut Sauce and Grilled Asparagus.
Let’s Not Keep Secrets
If you liked this Unboring Grilled Tofu Recipe and enjoy good food consider subscribing to our recipe blog and connecting with us on our social channels. That is also a great way to share these recipes and delicious sauces with others. Find our social channels on the Connect with Simpatico Foods page. Please also subscribe to the Simpatico Foods YouTube channel and click notification to receive new videos as they are published.