Vegan Scallops with Citrus Sauce are very similar in look and texture to larger scallops. Someone who claims not to like mushrooms might decide they do indeed like mushrooms after eating this dish. The key is to use King Oyster Mushrooms and a tasty marinade. We used Citrus Infused Sauce. King Oyster Mushrooms feel significant and will leave you satisfied. Once cooked, these mushrooms develop a rich umami flavor and have a meaty texture, similar to scallops. After slicing the mushrooms we let the marinade penetrate deeply into the mushrooms. Other than Citrus Infused Sauce and Olive Oil we only used a sprinkle of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Five ingredients are all it takes to make this wonderful vegan guilt-free dinner.
Vegan Scallops with Citrus Sauce Serving Suggestions
We love to serve these Grilled Vegan Scallops with Citrus Sauce on an appetizer plate with herb butter sauce and topped with fresh herbs. You can also serve this dish over steamed rice and then drizzle a bit more citrus sauce on the plate. The options are endless. Use Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Medium or Hot depending upon your heat preference. If you want a slightly more pepper-onion-garlic intense flavor then use the Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Medium or Hot. Both are delicious.
INGREDIENTS: Vegan Scallops with Citrus Sauce
- 3 King Oyster Mushrooms
- Sprinkle of Kosher salt
- Pinch or two of fresh ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 for Marinade and 1 for the Herbed Butter
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Medium or Hot
- Bunch of Fresh Basil
- Bunch of Fresh Chives
Prep Time: 20 minutes (add another 30 minutes for marinade time)
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
Recipe Yield: Serve 2-3
If you are rushed for time you can compress the marinade time down to 30 minutes but we usually do an hour. You can always prepare this the night before, leave it in the fridge and pull it out when your’re ready.
Pro Tip: We like to use a reversible rectangular grill and griddle pan. Ours is made by Lodge – it is wonderful and heirloom quality. Treat yourself if you don’t have one. We don’t earn commissions or run ads – we just love their product so we’re telling you. You’ll see this griddle pan used in Grilled Steelhead with Garlic Onion Glaze and Crispy Herbed Roast Potatoes recipes. We use our Lodge grill and griddle pan outside over our barbecue grill, inside the oven, and over two burners on the stovetop. You’ll use less foil, have more even heat, and have fewer flareups outside on your grill. And for this recipe, you won’t have to worry about losing mushrooms to the bottom of the grill.
Organic Citrus Infused Sauce
This Grilled Vegan Scallops Recipe uses Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. Our sauces are shelf-stable and ready to eat out of the jar. Plan ahead and have some in your pantry. Our clean label sauces are:
- USDA Organic Certified by WSDA
- Free of additives and preservatives
- Shelf-stable, refrigerate after opening
- Loved by Customers
Transforming King Oyster Mushrooms into Vegan Scallops
- First, slice the King Oyster Mushrooms crosswise into sizes resembling scallops. Be creative with larger portions.
- Each mushroom piece will take on the shape and look and texture of a scallop once marinated and grilled.
- In a mixing bowl large enough to hold all of our vegan scallops, add 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Stir 2 Tablespoons of Citrus Infused Sauce into the olive oil and make sure the King Oyster Mushrooms are thoroughly coated.
- Citrus Infused Sauce for marinating Vegan Scallops made from King Oyster Mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the marinated King Oyster Mushrooms with salt and pepper. Pretty soon these will be Vegan Scallops. Mmmm
- Each vegan scallop should be coated with a combination of Citrus Sauce and Olive Oil and dotted with Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper.
- Cover and let marinate for however long you have 30 minutes minimum, 1 hour, or overnight.
- Ah – the moment is here. Now, we are going to grill the King Oyster Mushrooms, er uh I mean Vegan Scallops. But, first…
- Let’s make some herb-infused butter using fresh basil and chives. You can add other herbs if you like.
- Chop the chives and set aside. Chop the fresh basil and cut the butter into smaller pads to make it easy to melt when added to the hot oil.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to a pan on medium-high heat. We love cast iron so you’ll see that in our photos.
- Add butter to heated olive oil. Once foamy it is time to add your herbs. Make sure to reserve some chives and other herbs as desired to top the dish with later.
- Add herbs to the hot butter and oil, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. It is done when it just begins to turn crispy. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove from heat when done but leave the herbed butter-oil combo in the pan for now. You may need to warm it again slightly when your scallops come off of the grill.
Grilling Your Citrus Marinaded Vegan Scallops
- On your preheated griddle add a little olive oil before placing the scallops. If you don’t have a griddle we recommend using foil over your grill so you don’t lose mushrooms. These mushroom scallops will take longer to cook than seafood scallops. Cook 5-7 minutes on side one, checking to see you have nice grill marks.
- After you are satisfied with your grill marks on side one, turn the vegan scallops and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes. If you are using foil then you won’t have the marks of course. See the prep notes for sourcing a griddle for next time. Seriously, you’ll love it. Scallops will have a texture similar to a scallop once cooked.
Voila! Your Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms are Now Vegan Scallops
One serving option is to plate the Vegan Scallops with Citrus Sauce on an appetizer or tapa style plate and then drizzle with the warmed herb butter. Then top with the fresh herbs that you set aside.
Another serving option is to plate your Vegan Scallops with Citrus Sauce over a bed of rice. We used Curry Fried Rice here but this could be anything, even a simple plain steamed rice. Top with fresh herb and drizzle with herb butter. Yummy! Enjoy!
Let’s Not Keep Secrets
If you liked this Vegan Scallops with Citrus Sauce Recipe and enjoy good food consider subscribing to our recipe blog on our Connect page.