These Vegan Tacos with Citrus Sauce in blue corn tortilla shells will have vegetarians, gluten-sensitive folks, and non-discriminatory eaters enjoying the same meal. This recipe can serve as a snack or you can double or triple the serving size to make it an entree. Eat Vegan Tacos with Citrus Sauce for lunch or a dinner entree served full-size or as an appetizer served as mini tacos.
If you keep some blue corn taco shells on hand then you’ll be able to make these tacos with little notice or advance planning. This recipe uses simple vegetable ingredients that are commonly used for other meals. Chances are you already have cabbage, carrot, and onion in your refrigerator. This recipe uses the more citrusy Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Medium or Hot. If you prefer to have more of an intense pepper-onion-garlic flavor then use the Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Medium or Hot. Remember, if you are in a mixed-heat household where she likes it hot, him medium, and them mild, or some combination thereof you can always Make it Mild.
INGREDIENTS: For Vegan Tacos With Citrus Sauce
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 head green cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion cup sliced thinly (white, yellow, or sweet)
- 1 small to medium red onion sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch (or two) of course kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package blue corn taco shells (usually 8 per pack)
- One jar Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Medium or Hot
Recipe Yield: Serve 2-3
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Useful Kitchen Equipment
Use a mandoline vegetable slicer to easily prepare your vegetables. The tool is simple, durable and easily set up and just as easily cleaned and put away. Sorry food processor – you’re day will come but that is not TODAY.
Using the Sauces
Whether you use Original Sauce or Citrus Sauce, add the sauce late in the veggie saute and consider drizzling more sauce over the top of each taco just prior to serving.
Preparing Taco Shells
Heat the oven to 250 degrees F. Heat taco shells for 5-7 minutes just before filling to improve taste and minimize breakage.
Organic Citrus Infused Sauce
This Vegan Tacos recipe uses Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. Our sauces are shelf-stable and ready to eat out of the jar. Plan ahead and have some in your pantry. Our clean label sauces are:
- USDA Organic Certified by WSDA
- Free of additives and preservatives
- Shelf-stable, refrigerate after opening
- Loved by Customers
Step by Step Instructions to Make Vegan Tacos with Citrus Sauce
- Use a mandoline slicer to thinly slice your vegetables. The mandoline makes quick work of this with minimal setup and cleanup.
- These veggies are guilt-free and will leave you feeling healthy and energized after eating.
Vegan Tacos Starring These Vegetables
- Thinly sliced carrots. Pro tip: if your carrots got a little rubbery in your refrigerator then soak them in water to firm them up.
- Green cabbage is so delicious lightly sauteed in olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Ditto for purple cabbage. Or, is it red? The “what color is the cabbage” debate rages on.
- Thinly sliced white or yellow onion. We like the sweet onion when available.
- Thinly sliced red onion is delicious in tacos and in sandwiches, too.
- Organic Blue Corn Taco Shells. These are from Trader Joe’s.
Lets Get Our Saute On
- Take care of a well-seasoned cast iron pan and it will reward you for a lifetime.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to your hot cast iron pan or whatever cookware you are using.
- Carrots take a bit longer to cook so start your sauté with them.
- Next, add the green cabbage to join the carrots in your heated pan.
- Then add the red cabbage to your carrot and green cabbage mix.
- Add fresh ground black pepper to coat the top of the shredded cabbage and carrot mixture.
- Next, sprinkle a pinch or two of kosher salt. It should be visible along with the black pepper as seen here on the carrot slices.
- Sauté the cabbage and carrot mixture for a couple of minutes before adding the onion.
- Add sliced onion to your sautéed vegetables and continue to cook a couple more minutes until the onions are done.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Organic Citrus Infused Sauce.
- Stir the Organic Citrus Infused Sauce into your vegetable mix. It doesn’t need to be cooked, you’re simply warming it.
- Finally, you are ready to stuff your taco shells and then top each taco with an additional drizzle of Organic Citrus Infused Sauce. Enjoy!
Vegan Tacos with Citrus Sauce in Blue Corn Taco Shells
Let’s Not Keep Secrets
If you liked this simple Vegan Tacos with Citrus Sauce Recipe and enjoy good food consider subscribing to our recipe blog on our Connect page.