This Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Recipe is the vegetarian version of Reggie’s stuffed peppers (classic jalapeño poppers). This is a perfect appetizer to share at your hosted happy hour, tailgating, poker party, watch party, or other event. I’ve eaten a plateful of these for dinner so they can go further than an appetizer. Use Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Medium or the two-pepper Hot version to suit your heat level preference. For a brighter citrusy flavor use the Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Medium or Hot.
Ingredients: for Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Recipe
- Anaheim and jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise (we used 4 jalapeño and 2 Anaheim. Use whichever peppers or combo of peppers you like)
- 1 1/2 cup steamed rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (red, white, or yellow)
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 2 cup spinach
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Medium or Hot or Organic Citrus Infused Sauce – Medium or Hot
When preparing your peppers, cut each in half lengthwise and then remove the stem and seeds. It is best to wear gloves when handling hotter peppers like jalapeños.
When you are stuffing the peppers with your filling and nearing the “finish line” in step 9, adjust the amount of filling so that you don’t have any vegetable-rice mixture left. If you do have leftover filling, then use it in tomorrow’s frittata.
Make Garlic Pesto to Save Time
To speed making recipes like this that use crushed garlic, consider making a larger batch of garlic pesto and then freeze it in small jars (our empty glass sauce jars are perfect). When your recipe calls for crushed garlic you can pull a jar of garlic pesto and thaw it in warm water. Place back in freezer when done, for another time.
Recipe Yield: Makes a hearty appetizer for 4 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Tour of Ingredients used in Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Recipe
MORE ABOUT OUR SAUCES
This Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Recipe uses either Organic Original Dipping Sauce or Organic Citrus Infused Sauce, These sauces are shelf stable and ready to eat out of the jar. Plan ahead and have some in your pantry. Our clean label sauce are:
Step-by-step Instructions to Make Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- Cook Onions. Heat a frying pan to medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil. Add chopped onion, stir and let cook until translucent.
- Add crushed garlic to the cooked onion, stir and let it cook for 15 seconds.
- Add chopped fresh dill to the onion-garlic mixture, stir and let cook for 15 seconds.
- Next add diced fresh tomatoes, stir and let cook for 15 seconds.
- Add fresh spinach leaves and Organic Original Dipping Sauce, stir and let cook for 30 seconds. Turn off the burner and transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add steamed rice to the mix. Add feta cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix all ingredients well.
Stuffing the Peppers with Vegetarian Mix
- Slice each pepper in half lengthwise, removing stems and seeds. Please wear gloves when handling jalapeño peppers.
- Using a spoon, fill each jalapeño or Anaheim pepper half with the vegetable-rice mixture.
- Repeat the process until all pepper halves are filled.
- Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, and sprinkle with one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Transfer stuffed peppers to oven and bake for about 35 minutes. Peppers are done when skins can be easily pierced with a fork.
Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Recipe Serving Suggestions
These Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers are excellent served as appetizers. Leave plenty of space on the plate for dramatic effect. These stuffed peppers can also be eaten as a meal when paired with additional steamed rice. Another option is to combine this dish with Steamed Rice with Peanut Sauce.
Let’s Not Keep Secrets
If you liked this Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Recipe and enjoy good food consider subscribing to our recipe blog and connecting with us on our social channels. That is also a great way to share these recipes and delicious sauces with others. Find our social channels on the Connect with Simpatico Foods page. Please also subscribe to the Simpatico Foods YouTube channel and click notification to receive new videos as they are published.