This Veggie Sandwich with Cheese Recipe is delicious with vegetables alone but also tasty with your favorite cheese added. Make appropriate vegan substitutes as desired. We love vegetable laden sandwiches with a combo of Citrus Infused Sauce and mayonnaise or Vegenaise. This Veggie Sandwich is also wonderful with Original Dipping Sauce. Give zing to your sandwiches! If you’re making sandwich for others in a mixed-heat household you might be interested in knowing how to Make It Mild.
Sandwich Hacks to Improve Most Any Sandwich
Sandwich Hack #1
A sandwich requires bread; otherwise it’s a wrap or something else. One way to add some texture and flavor to your sandwich is to pan-fry your bread in coconut oil. Slather one side of your bread with a layer of coconut oil and add to a pan on medium heat, oil side down. Let the bread turn golden crispy brown. The next part is key. When you make your sandwich use the crispy pan-fried side on the inside of your sandwich. The outside remain “fresh” while the inside provides your sandwich with extra flavor and a bit of crunch.
Sandwich Hack #2
Another sandwich hack is to add fried sage leaves. To make fried sage leave begin with fresh sage, hopefully from your own garden. Heat a pan with coconut oil or olive oil over medium heat. Add the leaves in a single layer and fry until crispy. Carefully remove and let cool on a paper towel. Add as a layer to your sandwich for extra crunch and unique flavor.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
This recipe as shown will make one sandwich. Sandwiches are easily scaled with the addition of breast. Ingredients can be thickly or thinly applied.
Recipe Ingredients for Veggie Sandwich with Cheese:
- 2 slices of bread (Use your favorite bread. We like the Organic Sweet Dark Bread or Organic Rustic Italian Bread from Grateful Bread. Even better pan-fried.)
- Cheese (This is optional: pick your favorite cheese. We like provolone, havarti, and extra sharp cheddar. You can use more than one.)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Sweet basil
- Fried sage (optional)
- Sugar pea shoots or (sprouts)
- Tomato, sliced (We love heirloom tomatoes)
- Cucumber (sliced)
- One jar Organic Citrus Infused Sauce or Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Hot or Medium.
Other vegetables to consider include avocado and butter lettuce or romaine. Don’t make it so tall with ingredient that you cannot possibly eat it. Many of our customers mix our sauces with other basil pesto or hummus they make or buy. You can use our sauces to add flavorful heat to your favorite sandwich spread.
- For one sandwich, in a small bowl mix mayonnaise with Organic Citrus Infused Sauce or Organic Original Dipping Sauce – Hot or Medium (If you want to give an extra spice you may add more sauce)
- Spread the mixture of sauce on the bread with a spatula
- Top with cheese, cucumber, tomato, sugar pea shoots , and sweet basil leaves
- We love to cut sandwiches into more than halves to create additional eating opportunities. Cut into thirds, eat two now and save a portion for later. Or cut into fourths, etc.
Serving Suggestions for Veggie Sandwich with Cheese
Veggie Sandwiches are so simple, yet so good. Make one for lunch or dinner with or without sides. If you don’t have these ingredients substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand. You really cannot go wrong. That Fried Sage that was an optional ingredient also makes a great side for your sandwich. Or, serve it ahead of the sandwich as a tiny appetizer and palate cleanser. Other side that go well with sandwiches include Blue Corn Orange Hot or Your Favorite Chips and Chunky Dreamy Fresh Salsa.